Tuesday, June 19, 2012

We as a society do not worry about violence in our schools until unfortunate events such As Columbine or the Virginia Tech shootings occur. We often ask ourselves how can we prevent this from occurring? In many ways our society has to take a stand and wonder where does our youth get violent ideas such as these men on this fateful day? Why did we allow these students to get bullied to the point that they wanted to get back at everyone who did them wrong? The media portrayal of these crimes is telling also as when school shootings do occur it is national news and blown up on every channel. Many students who commit such crimes immerse themselves in violent literacies that we are feeding them through society. How can we change this and keep such horrible crimes from happening in our schools?

Participate in Class Discussion on school violence and bullying

3 comments:

  1. I really like this post because students should the effects of bullying. Columbine and Virginia Tech are good examples of what bullying can lead to. I think teachers and administrators in the school should work together in having a plan to prevent bullying from occurring in their schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the topic and like Shibu said, students definitely need to be reminded of the terrible effects of it. I don't think it is just the media today that is causing violence in our society, there are a ton of different factors playing into it. I grew up running with gangs and killing hookers with tanks, and I haven't murdered anyone yet. I however was not bullied, grew up with a supportive family, and was not surrounded by violence in real life as a kid. Who knows. But either way I think all of our students need to be aware of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One way is to raise awareness..and the way you are presenting you're material is a great way to do that! Since we do not have that much influence over what happens outside of school...we can at least create a community inside of the school that promotes tolerance, compassion, and resolution. Perhaps, raising awareness in schools could counter the violent ideas that are fed to our students on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete