Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In history or after World War I we had our first instances of gangs and gang leaders such as Al Capone. Now our modern gangs consist of Crypts, Bloods, and other various gangs around the nation. Gangs is a growing problem in some communities. Gangs have even rose in schools. How do we keep gang violence from infiltrating our schools when we see it on a daily basis in such television shows such as "GangLand" on Spike TV. Even popular movies such as the "Godfather" became big hits as it emphasized gangs and warlords.


Thought provoking questions to be answered by next class:
1. What time period in history did we see the arrival of organized crime being led by guys such as Al Capone?
2. What was the era called that organized crime became more apparent or visible?
3. Make connections between gangs of today and gangs in history? T-charts, Venn Diagrams can be used

3 comments:

  1. I like that you pulled in your curriculum standards to your pop culture blog and theme. I think this link will make the material that you are teaching your students all that more relatable and real-world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too with earth science 101. It is good that you attached to pop culture. I remember in U.S. History class my teacher showed us the Gangs of New York film, and I think he taught a lesson on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said this in class, but this would be a great assignment especially for an urban school. Gangs are still a part of urban communities which makes this topic very relevant. I think students can really appreciate the T.V. and movie references as well!

    ReplyDelete